Friday, October 21, 2005

Are there any Conservatives in Washington?

Well not very many it seems as the Coburn bill was voted down today. The Senate voted 82-15 to defeat Coburn's amendment which is pretty much what I thought would happen. I found this 2 snippets interesting:




Sen. Ted Stevens (news, bio, voting record), R-Alaska, vowed Thursday to resign from the Senate if his fellow lawmakers followed through on threats to cancel spending on a $230 million "bridge to nowhere" in Alaska that was stuck into a pork-filled highway bill earlier this year.

The bridge, longer than the Golden Gate, would cross from Ketchikan (pop. 8,000) to Gravina Island (pop. 50), replacing a seven-minute ferry that connects the town with the regional airport. Its main critic, Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., argued that the bridge money is enough to buy each island resident a Lear jet.



That was followed by this tidbit of info:

"If the Senate decides to discriminate against our state, to take money only from our state, I'll resign from this body," said Stevens, a pugnacious Alaskan who's held his seat for 37 years.



37 years? I think its time someone got a real job. Maybe the next Coburn amendment should be for term limits. I need to run down a list of who voted against this for future reference like say maybe the next elections. I'm sure the good voters will no doubt forgive the fact that the same assclowns they keep putting in office are spending us into oblivion.

Well I just stopped in to check my messages. I'm heading back down to the bar to hang out with some real Americans. No not some asshole politicians but some Korean War Rangers.

No comments: