Saturday, October 08, 2005

Avian bird flu more questions than answers.

I have been keeping up with the daily news updates on the H5N1 Avian Influenza. A report came out in the Times online Here that doesn't really suprise me but causes me great concern. It only natural with such a rapidly changing virus that it would evolve to overcome Tamiflu eventually but that sure was quick.

My thoughts the other night at work were of concern for myself and my coworkers. I remember the lunacy of the media driven SARS invasion of the ER's. It didn't take long for us and our suppliers to run out of the N95 masks. I wondered aloud if the same would happen. Now today I read this snippet from Here

"For example, health workers would need to wear special masks, known as N-95 masks, to prevent infection while treating patients. Two U.S. companies produce 90 percent of the world's supply and "we'll run out overnight," Osterholm said."

Perhaps I should start stockpiling them in my locker for the winter rush of fucksticks who are convinced they have the bird flu based on what they read on WebMD and must be admitted to the ICU.

No comments: